Wednesday, August 10, 2011

DAY 4: Berlin

Tuesday, August 10th 2010

We took the S-Bahn to the Griebnitzsee station and walked to our accommodation. I was half-asleep, so the journey is a little fuzzy. We arrived there around 7 am, and our hosts were just about to leave for work. We had some breakfast, although I couldn't eat much because I was so tired. I took a power nap, but Pinky woke me up at half past nine because she was bored. We got ready and headed for the city center. Saw the Brandenburg Gate and got the mandatory tourist pictures in front of it. Saw the Holocaust memorial, which was pretty impressive. I kept trying to figure out the symbolism of it, and later on read from a brochure that there is no symbolism to it. Pöh.
Brandenburg Gate
Holocaust memorial (you're not supposed to walk on those!!)
We walked over to the Reichstag, and there was a freakishly long line in front of it, so we didn't even bother trying to get in. It would've taken hours, and we only had two days in Berlin. I'll just have to go there next time I'm in Berlin, because it did look impressive. We walked towards the Hauptbahnhof, and noticed beach chairs on the river bank, facing the station. It was a beach bar, so we decided it was time for cocktails. We rested our legs and enjoyed the refreshing drinks. It was very hot and sunny, and I regretted wearing jeans and taking a hoodie with me..
We then walked to the main train station and just had to get ice cream because it looked so delicious. I even made the effort to order mine in German, and got a larger portion than Pinky, who didn't even try. Hehehe. After the ice cream break we took the S-Bahn to Potsdamer Platz. It looked very metropolitan - tall buildings and lots of cars. From there we walked all the way to Checkpoint Charlie. 
It was lunch time, so we ate at a small Chinese restaurant, and then bought iced caffé lattes at Starbucks (I desperately needed some caffeine in my system, and it definitely helped). We strolled back to Potsdamer Platz and started heading back "home". We spent the rest of the evening socializing with our hosts, and then finally went to sleep. I think I was probably out cold as soon as my head touched the pillow.

-Brain

No comments: