Saturday, August 20, 2011

DAY 14: Innsbruck

Friday, August 20th 2010

We got up early as usual and got ready to go. The first bus to Natters left at 10:17, so we aimed for that one. It was a very nice summery day, so we decided it would be a good day to go swimming. Oh, and here are some clickable pictures of the best camping site we'd been to:


Pinky really wanted to go see the Bergisel ski-jumping tower, so we asked the bus driver to drop us off at a stop closest to that. We got out, and walked up the hill towards the tower. It was a pretty steep climb, and I was tired and a bit cranky. The entrance fee to the tower was 8.5€, and I wasn't too interested in the place because I'm not a sports fanatic, so Pinky went up there and I stayed behind and waited down below. I think I'd better leave it to her to tell about the Bergisel experience :)
View over the city. Note the Alps in the background.
After that we walked down the hill and towards the old town of Innsbruck. It wasn't very far, and just about all the historical sites were close to one another. We saw all the old buildings, statues, etc that were highlighted on our map, and it didn't take us very long. The gardens of the Imperial Palace were pretty. There was some energy stone there, that apparently was a present to the city from the organizers of the Feng Shui Congress 2000. Pinky went and touched it, but didn't feel any more energized. I climbed up some cool-looking tree and then later noticed the sign saying "Don't climb the trees". Oooops, my bad.

 A street in the old town, and a silver lady with a dog

 In the Imperial gardens

We walked along the river Inn, which was a very interesting greenish color, and also cloudy. Never seen water like that before. The river + Alps = gorgeous. 
The river Inn
Did I mention I love those mountains?
It got very hot and sunny very fast, so we started looking for a cocktail bar. Found some quiet place and I ordered a Mojito, while Pinky ordered a Caipirinha. Both had like 5 cl of booze in them, which to me seemed like a lot. I don't think we have such strong cocktails in Finland. Afterwards we went looking for an Internet cafe, because we had to check train timetables and other important stuff, such as Facebook :P We found an internet cafe right by the railway station, and paid 2€ for one hour. Most of the computers were in use, and the one next to ours was occupied by a young guy who was playing World of Warcraft and kept smoking. Almost everyone else in the place was smoking as well, and the cigarette smoke was nauseating. I realized how glad I am that it's not allowed to smoke indoors in Finland. We checked everything we needed to check, even the lyrics to "My favorite things" from Sound of Music. It was bugging us for a few days, ever since Salzburg.

We got back to the camping site, and changed into our swimwear. The weather was really nice, so we went swimming in the artificial lake. The water was quite cold and refreshing. 
The artificial lake at the camping site
Afterwards we ate at the restaurant there and later in the evening had our biggest argument of the trip. I mentioned something about the song "My favorite things" and how she sings about apple strudels, and Pinky was so sure that there was nothing about them in the song. She even texted one of our friends, who at first agreed with her, but then googled the lyrics. "Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels, doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles". Yep, I was right!
It's always nice to end with a picture of a sunset
-Brain

No comments: